Sunday, June 20, 2010

Alt kid for life.

2003. In my oppinion, this was the most heavily influential year for music. Modern-day alternative music(I'm not talking Nickelback here), that is, and all of the many genres and sub-genres that surround it. This is the year that Yellowcard's Ocean Avenue, Billy Talent's self-titled album, Brand New's Deja Entendu, The Used's Maybe Memories and many other albums that formed the musical taste of myself and the average alternative kid were released.

Given a little slack, 2002 and 2004 can be tied in with 2003's big bang of angsty alternative goodness. Releases by The Used, Hawthorne Heights, Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World, My Chemical Romance, and tons more that share the genre can be included in my list if these extra years are taken into account. 2003 was definitely the most concentrated year, but all together this three year span popped out every single one of my all time favorite albums. At the time, my older sister was around the age of 13. So, she was obviously at a very media influenced age. Her taste in music became my taste in music, even as a little eight year old girl just venturing into third grade. None of my friends ever had the same taste in music as I did, and I could never figure it out.

Now, looking back, I realize that the generation gap is to blame. Five years is all it takes. Popular music changes as fast as the way people wear their jeans, one year flaired and the next skin tight. And now it's cut-offs, but I digress. The alternative craze died out by the time that my teenage years came into play, but my love lives on. I still remain one of the few die-hard fans of Brand New in my generation, and the same goes for Taking Back Sunday, Yellowcard, Alkaline trio, too many to list. These bands shaped my musical taste, my outlook on life (probably not the best thing), pretty much most of who I have come to be today. These are the bands whose lyrics are burned into my brain and will be until my dying day. these are the years that shaped it all.

Here are some of singles and my favorites from the albums I mentioned earlier.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments:

Post a Comment